Tuesday, January 19, 2016

How to Create an Embellishment Cluster with Die Cuts- Week #3



When I bought paper, I used to buy every embellishment that matched it: die cuts, stickers,chipboard and whatever else I could get my hands on. I would then use the package of die cuts sparingly. I wanted needed those die cuts to last. I felt like it would be a shame to run out of them and still have paper left in a collection.I would see people on design teams and think they were crazy for piling on a ton of embellishments from one package.

Over time( I have been scrapbooking since 2001), my paper and embellishment collection grew. Many of the die cuts and embellishments sat unused. I realized that my style reflected a frugal blend of simple yet layered. I used up paper but was left with a large supply of die cuts. Holding all those packages of die cuts in my hands, I realized that I had to find a way to use them. I started layering them into embellishment clusters.

The layout I am sharing today features die cut vellum pieces. It would be easy to substitute punched patterned paper shapes or even stickers. Feel free to mix both die cuts and stickers into the same cluster.





Key Points to Consider when Layering Die Cuts into Embellishment Clusters

  • Choose a background paper which contrasts with the die cuts. I had a lot of bright colored hearts, so I chose a white sheet of cardstock.
  • The cluster don't have to be horizontal as in the layout shown above. Choose your photo arrangement first, then push the die cuts around until you have them positioned to your liking.
  • Using three clusters gives you a visual triangle. Try to arrange the clusters to form the triangle around your focal point photo. In the layout above, the focal point is the large photo with the closeup of my cat,
  • Focus on 1-3 concepts to create the visual triangle. I used die cuts of all the same shape in each cluster. Colors are repeated. I also placed the text near each cluster. You can have more than one visual triangle on your page.
Normally, I am not an advocate of piling embellishments onto a single layout. However, if you are sitting on packages of die cuts in your stash, I think it's fine to give yourself permission to add quite a few to a single page. After all, the supplies are there to be used.Focus on keeping the page simple. Choose a neutral background and add heavier embellishments like chipboard or flowers to each die cut cluster sparingly.

Supplies Used:
Xyron Adhesive
Tape: My Mind's Eye, Amy Tangerine
Letters: Duct Tape Brand, Basic Grey
Felt: Sassafrass, Bella Blvd.
Die Cuts: Studio Calico
Chipboard: Totem Poppets
Jewels: Imaginesce
Metal: Maya Road




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some scrappy love!